Thursday, October 4, 2007

Everything I Need To Know I've Learned From Reading Banned Books

Yes, it's that time again - Banned Books Week. Although historical fiction titles do not appear often on the lists of banned and challenged books, they do pop up.

Here's a few to consider reading, if you haven't already.

My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier (Newberry Honor Book)

The Color Purple by Alice Walker(Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and National book Award)

Beloved by Toni Morrison (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)

Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George (Newberry Medal)

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)

Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene (National Book Award finalist)

1 comment:

Mary Emma Allen said...

Goodness, I hadn't realized these had been banned. Julie, My Brother Sam, and My German Soldier all are read at our public schools. Julie and My Brother Sam sometimes are read as class books (the whole class reading it together). I find My German Soldier and the sequel in several classroom libraries, as well as school libraries.